Party, date, simply hang out in your house, or your alone time most of this time there is always alcohol to partner your delicious meal if you are a fur parent and you’re hosting a party in your house and a bottle of wine or any alcohol beverages accidentally spill on the floor or while watching movies in your sofa and you fell asleep and forgot to throw away a leftover beer in your cup and your dog drinks it or have a sip of it you must be worried now and wondering what would happen to your lovely dog, — is he going to be fine or it would make his life threaten. Can Dogs Drink Alcohol? this question will puff up in your mind after you saw your dog drank or have a sip of any alcoholic drinks, don’t worry below is all the information you need about dogs drinking alcohol to keep them safe and healthy.
Alcohol can be found/used in drugs, drinks, food, Hygiene essentials, and more. Alcohol has four types the ethyl, denatured, isopropyl, and rubbing. The ethanol or simply ethyl alcohol is the main alcohol present in alcoholic drinks, it is made of fermented sugar and yeast that is common used in beer, wine, and liquor.
Can Dogs Drink Alcohol?
Dogs should avoid and not drink any types of alcohol it is very harmful and toxic to their health. Like an onion, garlic, chocolate, avocado, and more alcohol can cause poisoning to dogs it is called “Alcohol Toxicity in Dogs”.
Any amount of alcohol is not recommended to be given to dogs and if your dog accidentally licks a small amount of it you can call your vet for advice, some vet will recommend bringing your dog to them immediately (especially if they drank a large amount) but some will recommend to monitor your dog and look for any symptoms of Alcohol Toxicity before bringing him to the clinic or hospital.
Symptoms of Alcohol Toxicity in Dogs
If your dog consumed alcohol enough to poison him the symptoms will show 30 to 60 minutes after he drinks/eat, it can be range from mild intoxication to severe intoxication (very fatal) depending on how much he consumed and how long he is being unattended.
A vet visit is very advisable if you are suspecting your dog drinks/eaten anything that has alcohol. The following are some of alcohol poisonings symptoms your dog may show:
- Loss of bodily control (ataxia)
- Difficulty breathing (dyspnea)
- Loss of consciousness
- Slow heart rate (bradycardia)
Beer, Wine, Whisky, Vodka, Mouthwash, Hand sanitizers, Cologne/perfume, Foods (ex. sough bread), and more are just some of the things that have alcohol so being extra careful is needed to make sure your dog won’t have a chance to consume it.