Hawaiian Punch is the best drink for holidays, birthday parties, picnics, or simple lunch or dinner, depending on its flavor this sweet or sour refreshing drink is very delicious. As a fur-loving parent, you must be wondering if your lovely pets can have a sip of this beverage, Can Dogs Drink Hawaiian Punch? Is Hawaiian Punch Toxic for Dogs? keep reading to know the answer!
What is Hawaiian Punch?
Hawaiian Punch is a non-alcoholic beverage generally containing fruit juice that is currently offering 14 different flavors since 2020. The following are the main ingredients of Hawaiian Punch:
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Less Than 2% of:
- Concentrated Juices (Apple, Clarified Pineapple, Passionfruit, Orange)
- Fruit Purees (Apricot, Papaya, Guava)
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
- Citric Acid
- Natural and Artificial Flavors
- Acacia Gum
- Ester Gum
- Red 40
- Blue 1
- Potassium Sorbate
- Sodium Hexametaphosphate (Preservatives)
Can Dogs Drink Hawaiian Punch?
The very short answer is NO. The Hawaiian Punch is not healthy and can be harmful to dogs (in large amounts), drinking this might lead them to have health problems like obesity, diabetes, periodontal disease, kidney problems, hypertension, and inflammation.
Hawaiian Punch is made with ingredients that are harmful and can be toxic to dogs such as the following:
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (it is an extremely high source of sugar), too much sugar in dogs can result in obesity, diabetes, periodontal disease, and many more health problems.
- Large Amounts of Sodium (Salt). Salt is toxic to dogs especially if intake in large amounts. Salt Poisoning in Dogs symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, lethargy, walking drunk, excessive thirst and urination, potential injury to the kidneys, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death is possible when leaving untreated.
- Artificial Flavors are not healthy and very dangerous for both human and animals (especially dogs), it is used to Hawaiian Punch to enhance the taste, however, these chemically produced flavors can produce symptoms such as intense headaches and nausea.
- Citric Acid can be found in citrus fruits and Hawaiian punch has it, the large quantities or intake of citric acid can result in central nervous system depression in dogs.
If your dog accidentally drunk a small amount of Hawaiian Punch it won’t affect its health, he might experience stomach ache, vomiting, or diarrhea that after a few hours will be gone and he will back to normal however if he shows other symptoms or vomiting and diarrhea stays for more than 12 hours it is better to call your Veterinarian or bring him to the nearest animal emergency hospital.