Are you one of those people who love to eat avocado toast for their breakfast or other mealtimes of the day? If yes and you are a fur parent you must be wondering if you can share this delicious toast with your lovely pets. Can Dogs Eat Avocado Toast? keep reading to know!
Avocados are a source of vitamins A, B6, C, and E, as well as fiber that can aid in digestive health, fatty acids, and other substances like folate, niacin, potassium, and antioxidants that may help fight disease and cancer. It also helps lower the cholesterol level because of its good fat.
Can Dogs Eat Avocado Toast?
The Answer is NO. The avocado toast has many ingredients that are not healthy and can be harmful to dogs, the avocado itself contains persin a fungicidal toxin, it is present in the avocado fruit, pits, leaves, and the actual plant, it can cause serious health problems even death in many animals including dogs.
Even though the avocado toast is one of the healthy food you can prepare for your self it is not the same healthy food for your lovely dog. Aside from avocado that is toxic for dogs the avocado toast also has other ingredients that are harmful to dogs such as garlic, salt, pepper, and other herbs and spices.
Health Benefits of Avocado Toast
Avocado is one of the healthiest fruit around the world so that avocado toast consider healthy too, some health benefits of avocado are the following:
- Has Multivitamin – Avocados contain nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
- vitamin K for strong bones and helps blood clot.
- vitamin E helps the immune system to fight viruses and bacteria.
- vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) creates energy from food
- vitamin C
- vitamin B5 (folate) and more
- High in Fiber – Fiber helps the digestive system and may decrease the risk of developing diabetes and heart disease
- Has Carotenoids (Lutein and Zeaxanthin) – Avocado is good for the eyes, lutein and zeaxanthin have been found to be very beneficial for eye health.
- Help keep Blood Pressure Normal – Avocado is rich in potassium, the potassium helps equalize fluid in cells, maintains the nervous system, and regulates heart and muscle contractions. People with high blood pressure need enough potassium to keep their pressure within a normal range.
Note: Not all human foods are safe to feed or share with your lovely pets especially dogs, make sure to ask your vet for advice before trying out to feed new food or treats to your dogs.
The Risks of Avocado Toast to Dogs
The avocado toast is not healthy food or treat option for dogs even though it is healthy for human because of the following reason:
The avocado can be eaten by a dog in a small amount and in moderation however because of its content/part it is not advisable to be given to dogs. The following are the reason why dogs should not eat avocado:
- Persin – is a toxic substance that is present in all parts of avocado, although a small amount of it won’t harm a dog it is better to avoid your dog from consuming it.
- Stems, Skin, and Pits – The stems, skin, and pits are not toxic however the stems and skins can cause stomach ache or diarrhea because it is difficult to digest while the pit is a choking hazard, it can also cause a gastrointestinal blockage that can lead to cause serious complications.
- Your Dog is Allergy to Avocado
2. Garlic, Onion, & Other Herbs and Spices
Avocado toast includes many other ingredients (depending to what you want) aside to avocado, the most common ingredients used to make avocado toast are garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. These ingredients is not healthy and toxic to dogs.
Remember if you want to give your dog any new food especially if it is human food ask your vet first for guidance because not all human healthy food is healthy for your lovely pets too.