Howdy, our lovely co-fur parents! Is your lovely pet sneak out some of your faves enchiladas? Or He/she giving some puppy eyes to have some of it? As much as we love our lovely pets (especially dogs) we must and always take extra care and attention in whatever food they will try and eat, it is for their health and safety. Can Dogs Eat Enchiladas? Are Enchiladas Bad for Dogs? and all other related questions will be answered below so keep reading.
To know if your lovely pets especially dogs can safely eat enchiladas, let’s start learning what is enchiladas and what are the ingredient of it.
What is Enchiladas?
The enchilada is a Mexican street food made of corn tortillas rolled around with a filling (such as meat, cheese, potatoes, vegetables, beans, tofu, and more). It is also commonly topped or garnished with cheese, sour cream, lettuce, olives, chopped onions, chili peppers, sliced avocado, and salsa, or fresh cilantro. Enchilada is covered with a savory sauce.
The common ingredients used in making Enchiladas are the following:
- Ground Beef,Pork, Chicken
- Onion & Garlic
- Chili Pepper
- sour cream
- Enchilada sauce is made from chili powder simmered in a broth with garlic, onion, tomato paste/sauce and thickened with flour.
In general, enchilada is tasty food that you can enjoy in anytime. However, like any other food, too much of it is not advisable.
Here at ohmylovelypets we are not experts (vet or nutritionist) however we create every content with a deep study and research to provide facts that can be helpful to our co-fur parents like you in taking care of their lovely pets.
Can Dogs Eat Enchiladas?
The short answer is NO! Enchiladas whether homemade or store-bought are not healthy and can be very harmful to dogs. Enchilada is spicy food and any food that is spicy is bad for dogs, it is also consist of other ingredients that is toxic and harmful for dogs such as the following:
- Cheese – some dog that has lactose intolerance ( a digestive disorder caused by the inability to digest lactose, the main carbohydrate in dairy products).
- Tomato – Tomatine is a toxic substance found in tomato plants and it is very harmful when consumed in large quantities.
- Onion & Garlic – all vegetables in the allium genus including onion, garlic, scallion, etc are toxic to dogs. If your dog ate onion and garlic whether fresh, cook, or poweder they might develop hemolytic anemia (condition impacts/destroys a dog’s red blood cells) that if left untreated might result in a fatal condition.
- Chili Pepper & Chili Powder – Dog should not eat spicy food it is toxic and can cause stomach ache, diarrhea, and GI to them. Spicy food can also cause excessive thirst, causing your dog to vomit or worse bloat.
- Salt – food that is high in sodium (salt) is very harmful and can be toxic for dogs, it can make your him seriously thirsty and lead to sodium ion poisoning.
- Tortilla – It is dangerous if your lovely pet has a wheat or gluten allergy.
- Enchilada sauce – is made from chili powder, with garlic, onion, tomato paste/sauce and thickened with flour that is all harful and toxic for dogs.
If your dog accidentally ate some Enchilada/s you must consider bringing him to the vet immediately especially if the amount they eat is so large.
Can Dogs Eat Enchiladas? DON’T GIVE OR FEED YOUR DOG A ENCHALADAS. It is very important to make sure that your dog’s food and treats are healthy and safe for him or her.
Always talk to your vet if you have a doubt about something related to your lovely pets, it is very important to be knowledgeable for your pet’s long and happy life with you!