Can Dogs Eat Lollipops?

-

SPONSOR

Did you drop your lollipop on the floor and your lovely pets (dogs) rushed over to eat? Well as a fur parent like you I’m sure you are so worried and don’t know what to do right now. Can Dogs Eat Lollipops? Is my dog will be okay? Should I bring my dog to the vet? these are some of the questions that will or might pop up in your mind. Don’t worry everything you need to know about the effects of lollipops on your dog will be answered below, so keep reading!

Not all human foods are safe and healthy for your lovely pets especially your dog so make sure to ask your vet before feeding your dog human foods.

Can Dogs Eat Lollipops?

A lollipop is a candy top on the stick that is made of water, sugar, corn syrup, natural and artificial flavorings, malic acid, or citric acid. The sugar-free lollipop is made of an artificial sweetener called xylitol.

Kids and kids at heart are not advisable to eat lollipops all the time because of the bad effect of it on their health, it is also the same for our lovely dogs. Lollipops is a choking hazard and can cause periodontal disease, obesity, diabetes, and more health problem to dogs if taken in a large amount and frequently.

Dogs are not advisable and should never eat lollipops or any candies. If your dog accidentally ate a piece of natural lollipop (without the wrappers and stick) the chances are he will be just fine, except for some cases that he might experience stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea that must be last not more than 24 hours.

If the lollipops that your dog accidentally ate is a sugar-free lollipop you must bring him to the vet immediately because it contains an artificial sweetener called xylitol that is very toxic and fatal for dogs.

Xylitol causes rapid-release of insulin, which brings a huge drop in the dog’s blood sugar (called hypoglycemia). This can happen within 10 to 60 minutes after ingesting xylitol or any food with it that can lead to a life-threatening condition of the dog if not treated immediately.

Conclusion:

A dog should never be feed lollipops or any human candies, if he accidentally ate a small amount and you check the ingredients and it has xylitol bring him to the vet or emergency hospital as soon as possible.

Lollipop stick and its candy itself is also a choking hazard that can poke or block the GI system of your dog so make sure to throw it away to where your lovely dogs cant find it.

Butler Oh
Butler Oh
Butler Oh is a long time dog lover. Dogs are always part of her family since she was young and she grows up as a loving and caring fur parent. She has been part of our team here at ohmylovelypets since 2019 and has provided a lot of great research and information about dogs.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest articles

Dog Proof 101: How To Dog Proof My Home Office?

How To Dog Proof My Home Office? This is the top search of most fur parents since the pandemic...

5 Ways To Train Your Dog With Or Without The Help Of A Professional

How much time does it take to train a dog? Is it worth it? These 5 Ways To Train...

Can Dogs Eat Papaya? TOP 5 Benefits of Feeding Dogs Papayas

Can dogs eat papaya? If you’re looking for ways to feed your dog some delicious fruits, then you should...

Maremma Sheepdog

Maremma Sheepdog Maremma Sheepdog is included in the list of dog breeds that come in ancient times, having ancestors...
SPONSOR

Manchester Terrier

Manchester Terrier Dog The Manchester Terrier is a small breed of dog. They are loyal, sweet, and protective which makes...

Maltipoo

Maltipoo Dog The Maltipoo is a breed of dog cross between Maltese and poodle. They inherit both good qualities of...

Must read

8 Fun And Dog-Friendly Winter Outdoor Activities To Try With Your Lovely Pet

Some people are constantly looking forward to summer, while...

Flat-Coated Retriever

Flat-Coated Retriever About Flat-Coated Retriever The Flat-Coated Retriever also known as...
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you