Did your dog sneak out a piece or worst a whole pack of your favorite Oreo cookies? I’m sure your so frustrated that your snacks got stolen by your lovely dog but I’m also sure that you are at the same time worried about what would happen to your dog after eating it. Can Dogs Eat Oreo Cookies?, Are Oreo toxic to dogs?, and What should I do if my dog eats Oreo cookies? Those are some of the questions that might be popping up in your mind after you see your dog eats Oreo, don’t worry I got you!
Whether your dog accidentally eats Oreo cookies or you want to share a piece or more with him you can find out below if a dog can be safely eats Oreo or not!
Oreo is a cookie consisting of two chocolate cookies, sandwiched and held together by a white creamy filling. Oreo ingredients are fairly simple, it has sugar, flour, oil, cocoa, high fructose corn syrup, leavening, cornstarch, salt, soy lecithin, vanillin, and chocolate (some ingredient will change depending on what Oreo flavor).
Oreo cookies are available in over one hundred countries around the world and have 25 flavors and counting.
Can Dogs Eat Oreo Cookies?
Dogs should avoid eating Oreo cookies (whatever flavor). Although Oreo has not enough chocolate in its ingredients that can cause poisoning to dogs (if taken in small amounts) it still has other ingredients that can cause harm to your dogs such as sugar that can cause obesity and diabetes.
A piece of Oreo has two chocolate cookies, sandwiched and held together by a white creamy filling, it’s sweet that dogs will surely love, if you left a pack of oreo open and your dog sneak a piece of it don’t worry it won’t affect your dog health but if he ate on regular basis or in a large amount of oreo it will cause a health problem that will need medical attention immediately.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs
A single Oreo won’t make your dog sick because it only contains a low amount of chocolate that is not enough to develop chocolate toxicity. However, if your dog ingested a large amount of Oreo the possibility of him having chocolate toxicity will be very high.
If your dog shows the following symptoms make sure to bring him to the vet immediately.
- Increase in heart rate
- Swollen abdomen
What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Oreo Cookies?
Again, a piece of Oreo won’t make your dog sick however two or more can cause stomach ache, vomiting, diarrhea, and worse chocolate poisoning to dogs, make sure to contact your vet or bring your dog to the hospital as soon as possible if he ate oreo in a large amount.